Surface Book 2 15" - Screen Burn-In / Transient Image Persistence / Ghosting

Replacement 1, 2 & 3: I've been owning a MS SB2 15" for about 1 year and 10 months now, and I've got it replaced not once, not twice, BUT THRICE!! (or at least will be when the current one is replaced).

Why? Well because all of these devices had issues with their screens, If you have some static content (Like browser tabs/Windows Start button) up on your screen for long periods (say 15mins+), It'll be like as if it got stuck to the screen. It is highly noticeable in dark grey backgrounds, which is almost everywhere since MS introduced dark mode. 

Here's an image of what it looks like

This is the screenshot I took at the same time at which the above photo was shot.

I noticed this during first week of Oct 2018 and a simple Google search led me here and which further led me here. So I contacted MS Surface Support regarding this through mail and then they gave me a lot of troubleshooting steps as they believed it might be an software issue, even had to factory reset my SB2 and also had to check whether it persists in the UEFI Firmware screen (Which has a light grey background, which makes it almost impossible to catch on a camera, It is slightly visible with naked eye) Somehow there was an option to get onscreen keyboard in that screen and it had black background with dark grey keys! Thanks to that I was able to click a photo of the Image retention even in UEFI Firmware screen. Now this proved that it is indeed a hardware issue. So they approved device replacement in first week of November and the replacement device was shipped two weeks later.

All good right?

A week later after the replacement was shipped, it arrives at the Walk In Center (WIC), I look my (Old) SB2 with the Image retention on a 20km long ride to the WIC where they check it for physical damages and provided me with the replacement after some paperwork. (Believe me, the whole process is frustrating). So, I got back home with the new (refurbished) device (The serial number started with 003117 while the first one I had started with 026369, which made me think that the device was really old, I might be wrong here), I powered up the device and kept it switched on for sometime. After a couple of minutes I came back and noticed that it was a 512GB model (I had 256GB model), It was a nice upgrade, but things went downhill a little too soon., I detached the clipboard (Screen portion) from the base (keyboard part) checked for Image retention and there it was AGAIN. So I attached the clipboard back to the base, even though windows showed that the device was attached, the keyboard nor the track-pad worked. So I tried restarting, it did not boot up properly, It kept on showing Driver_PNP_Watchdog error. And after 3 unsuccessful attempts of resetting the device I downloaded a copy of Win 10 ISO for SB2 from Microsoft's website and the installation stalled at 25% for about 20mins and finally it restarted and booted into Windows but then I got a different error "surfaceDTX.exe Application error". "Location is not available". I even tried installing stock win10 using MS media creation tool, but nothing worked. Again had to spend a lot of time and energy on just troubleshooting the device (MS Support didn't make it any easier).

Finally by end of 3rd week of Nov 2018, MS Support approved another replacement device, but this time I insisted on getting a new boxed version as replacement rather than a refurbished unit to which the MS support team disagreed. They how ever assured me that the (New-er?) replacement device wouldn't have any issue. So the same process again it took around 10 days to ship the replacement and a week more to arrive at the WIC. (In total, 1 and a half months with a non-working machine), a 20km ride, same checks for physical damage, the only difference is that I checked the replacement device before accepting it (Except Screen Burn-in, as it takes time to do that) (Well, yes I should've checked the device the first time I got it replaced, but hey, we learn from our mistakes) (Serial number starts with 025655). I desperately needed my laptop by then so I set everything up the very next day, all updates installed and everything, and then I had so much work I couldn't test for the screen burn-in issue for almost a month. This time I opened chrome opened a lot of tabs and let my SB2 sit for about 20mins. It did have Image retention, but It was not as worse as the first two devices, So I didn't bother much to have it replaced as I said earlier, It is a frustrating process and It is not worth going through for that degree of burn-in... until today, This time it is on par (or maybe worse) with than the burn-in in my first SB2. Now I think that every single Surface Book 2 15" has this issue (It is more prominent as the screen ages?), Maybe MS should recall all defective units and replace their screens with a better panel (As apple did for their 15" Macbooks with LG panels, they had a class action lawsuit because of it) / at the very least extend their warranty. (Like Google did for Pixel 2) / offer a better solution.

Links:
https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/windows/forum/windows_10-hardware/windows-10-screen-burn-inghosting/f845c544-69a6-43a3-a72f-6e62b5646e33

https://answers.microsoft.com/en-us/surface/forum/all/surfacebook-2-transient-image-persistence-burn/dd0cca5c-032e-46eb-bd8f-e8b003ee92f2

https://www.reddit.com/r/Surface/comments/86pnbt/screen_burn_in_retention_on_sb2_15/dw78tij/

https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/surfacerecoveryimage
https://www.digitaltrends.com/apple/macbook-pro-retina-lg-class-action-suit-started/
https://www.theverge.com/2017/10/26/16555406/google-pixel-2-xl-screen-burn-in-color-concerns-software-updates

Replacement 3:

UPDATE:
20-11-2019: 
Support team arranged for a replacement (again) on 12th Nov 2019. It is now ready for pickup (Delivered to Walk-In-Centre, 380 miles away on 15th Nov). This is the fastest I've seen MS process a replacement. I'm planning on collecting it within 2-5 days. Will update once I receive and test the replacement.

UPDATE:
26-11-2019: 
I received the replacement device on 23-11-2019. Tested it with a static image for 15 mins at the WIC itself. There was no image retention for that time frame. Yesterday I tried it for an hour, No retention. But I still can't say that this is a fully functional unit, since all my previous SB2's degree of image retention increased as the screen aged. Sadly my device's warranty is about to expire and MS refuses to give an extended warranty for the screen. Will update when I see signs of Image retention or in 6 months (whichever earlier).

Replacement 4:

UPDATE:
27-03-2020: 
It has been little over 4 months now since I've received the latest replacement and today I noticed Image retention on my device. Refer below for photos.

I minimized this browser

to see this retention.

Here is the screenshot (No point in putting this up here, but still.).

And no, closing all the windows doesn't make it better. 

Will be contacting MS Support in a while. Will keep this post updated.

UPDATE:
09-04-2020: 
MS Support is arranging for another replacement, this time a brand new device. I'd did ask them whether it'd have a different screen manufacturer/model, to which they responded "No new display panel comes with the device. All devices are certified and standardized.".

I did ask them what resolution they'd take if this Brand-New device starts to show the exact same problems and they said "If you encounter the same inconvenience with a 4th device, we must say that it will be a very unlikely situation. However, you can use the standard warranty that will be provided with the device.", Not sure how It'd be a "very unlikely" situation since it uses the exact same screen. 

As I use my device for work, this whole process of replacing the device costs me as I can't work when it is getting replaced. Most probably, I should get a backup device (Which is a bummer having spend so much on a premium product).

UPDATE:
12-07-2020: 
The replacement order was made on 26 June 2020 and the shipment was scheduled for 27 June 2020 (I did not decide on the date). I got the email for the same on 26 June 2020, I couldn't possibly get the device backed up and packed in a day. So I talked to the FedEx pick up guy (Who was really arrogant) and asked him to reschedule it to the next day, and he refused. So I mailed MSFT about it and they replied "FedEx India is not responding to their emails".  

Later, MSFT support mailed me that average turnaround time for replacements are taking about a month in India, due to this situation and they said I could reschedule the replacement to whenever the situation gets under control. But by then I had reset and packed my device. Anyways, I asked them to cancel the current order and that I will let them know the replacement date.

I took the device which was reset and started to configure it again. All of a sudden the display starts to flicker (Like when it had NVIDIA driver issues). I tried restarting and the problem showed up again. So I thought of resetting again, but this time reset failed. Tried another time with recovery image from MSFT's website, it failed again. I'm now left with only one option, to get it replaced. So I mailed them to schedule a pickup ASAP (To a different address, as I'm leaving to my parent's place)

UPDATE:
31-07-2020: 
FedEx is the only shipping partner for MSFT in India. They still haven't picked up the faulty device from me yet. I don't know how much longer I have to wait to get this device replaced.

FedEx customer support is the worst. They don't even know how to help with pick up, they asked me to call Indian MSFT support and talk to them about this. I called the Indian MSFT customer support, told them about the delay in pickup and agent replied "You can go drop it off yourself.".

Replacement 5? Refund?:

UPDATE:
07-10-2020: 
The shipment was picked by FedEx on 08-08-2020 and the next day, FedEx called me up and told me that the E-Way Bill (A document required to ship any item above value of 50,000INR) expired. I requested MSFT support to provide me a new one to forward it to FedEx, and the Indian MSFT service center was not responding to MSFT customer support team. FedEx kept calling me and told me they are returning the package to me and cancel the pick up again if the E-Way Bill isn't submitted in a day or two (Had 15+ calls and 20+ emails with FedEx and MSFT), and MSFT support was not responding. It took them about 2 weeks to provide me a new E-Way Bill (21-08-2020). The faulty device reached them on 26-08-2020. In my whole life, never have I ever experienced such bad support.

The replacement device was shipped on 18-09-2020, and was delivered to me on 21-09-2020 (more than 2 Months after I initiated the replacement). I got the 256GB version as replacement (A downgrade from my previous 512GB versions). But the worst part comes later. I open the package and saw that there is a sticker which says "For Enterprise and Education Customers Only" which some one has tried to peel off. I opened the box, It had that protective cover, everything. But there were minor scratches on top, some smudge marks on the screen, the bottom rubber pads looked like it was used, there was dust b/w the hinge. Even the serial number starts with(009480) looks like this is an old unit, just packed into a box and shipped. I forwarded my concerns to MSFT support and they responded that due to low inventory, they supplied the 256GB variant. No comment on the device being old, just an apology and that they could replace it AGAIN!

And Yes, this particular supposedly "New" device also has Image retention issue.

I have requested for either an upgrade to SB3 or a full refund for the same. This has been going for far too long. It has been just a little more than 2 years and I had to replace it 5 times? 

They have responded that they could process a refund, but they have not told be about the specifics yet. Hoping to end this persistent issue soon.

* Please try a lower page number.

* Please enter only numbers.

Hi Chethan Sathian,

Thanks for reaching Microsoft Surface Community. We completely understand, this is not the experience that we want you to have. We would like to further review this for you. We will be sending you a private message, looking for your response there.

Regards,

Edd

1 person found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Great! Thanks for your feedback.

How satisfied are you with this reply?

Thanks for your feedback, it helps us improve the site.

Thanks for your feedback.

Hi Edd,
     Have responded to your query in private message.

Looking forward for a solution.

Thank you.

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi, 

I have the same issue too. I have recently acquired Microsoft service two times. The third machine have the same problem too. I'm preparing to send the 4th service to exchange the machine. I think everyone owned surfacebook 2 15'' should check this problem. Screen retention must be hardware malfunction.

best regard,

Phidias

PW

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I think everyone owned surfacebook 2 15'' should check this problem. Screen retention must be hardware malfunction.

Yes Phidias, I think all SB2 15" owners should look into this issue. Considering most people use this device for photo editing and s/w developing and they work for hours with a static frame (application window box) they are definitely prone to this issue, I'm surprised that none of them noticed this (And the ones who did notice, couldn't get it on a photograph with-in UEFI mode, Since there is little to no dark-grayish background, Thus making it hard to prove that it is in-fact an hardware issue to MS Support). I hope MS will take this issue seriously and provide a solution to all their affected customers.

Sincerely

Chethan Sathian

2 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

My SB2 15" started showing signs of image retention about a year and a few months into its life from brand-new. Now the image retention is incredibly severe and it's incredibly difficult to work with when it kicks in. Unfortunately I can't send in my unit for a replacement since it's pretty critical for a number of things I do and I can't afford to be without the machine for any significant amount of time. Thankfully, I'm still able to use the device at the very least... it just requires a ton of mental gymnastics to get past all of the image persistence and focus on the stuff that actually matters.

To mitigate the issue somewhat, I wrote a small program to constantly fill the whole screen with randomly-generated pixels, which I habitually run every time I leave the computer. This usually is enough to make the image retention a bit less severe by the time I get back and need to continue working, but it's not always enough to fully eliminate the problem, and of course it's not a viable mitigation method if I have to use the device for hours on end. And that's ignoring the obvious problem that this is an extremely non-ideal way for me to go about doing my everyday work.

To drive the point across, here are some photos I just took of the image retention that developed on my screen in the five minutes it took me to write this post:

It's worth noting that the image that persists on the screen will remain on the screen even across device reboots and full shutdowns, so I am extremely doubtful that this is a software issue.

5 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi R. Lam, I don't think that getting a replacement will solve anything. I myself replaced my SB2 thrice and three of them had the same issue, I'm yet to receive the replacement for my last (this post) support ticket. Replacement is just a waste of time and energy.

The support team doesn't even acknowledge that this issue might show up on the replacement device. They just "assure" that the replacement will be "free from defects". Initially they told me that if the replacement im yet to receive shows these symptoms, they'll provide me with a brand new one (which will also start to show image retention, albet at a later time, most probably after the warranty expires). I did ask the support to increase the warranty period for the screen. (I even offered to pay for the extended warranty, which I actually needn't do, since this is an hardware issue plaguing almost all the SB2 15") and they replied that they can only provide a 90 day replacement warranty for replacement devices / original warranty period whichever is longer.

Considering that they are not acknowledging the faulty hardware and not even providing a proper resolution. I'm starting to feel that I made a mistake by choosing MS SB2.

6 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

I have the same issue on my Surface Book 2 that is only 2 years old. Kinda dissapointing. I had a Mac Book Pro before for 6 years and a Sony VAIO laptop for 6 years and never encountered this issue. Honestly the last time I've seen this burn in image issue was probably circa 2000-2005 back when IBM was still in the laptop business before they sold it to Lenovo. Microsoft is bringing good ol memories back lol.

Agata

3 people found this reply helpful

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hi Phidias, Hope you are doing well. Do you have any updates as of how the display of your replacement device is performing? Thanks.

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Microsoft is bringing good ol memories back lol.

Haha... But this feels more like a nightmare than good old memories, It's a really expensive device (and once the warranty expires, there's no way to repair the device, have to pay a premium for a replacement device). I've hardly experienced any screen burn-ins even on CRT Displays. The only device I've experienced it on is Google OG Pixel and Oneplus 5 (Both OLED displays)

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Hey Chetan, any issues with newest replacement SB2 15" with image retention after you had it replaced? If not could you let us know which LCD panel it has inside of it? This can be found with a tool called HWinfo64

·

Was this reply helpful?

Sorry this didn't help.

Question Info

Last updated January 21, 2023 Views 7,019 Applies to: